About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No Meat On Fridays

I am a non-practicing Catholic. I was raised in a Catholic home, abiding by all the rituals and observations.
There are Seven Sacraments that you go through during your life as a Catholic:
Baptism
Eucharist (or First Communion)
Reconciliation (First Confession)
Confirmation
Marriage
Holy Orders
Anointing of the Sick

In the Catholic religion, your parents and godparents are responsible to get you through the first 4 sacraments, even though they say that Confirmation is supposed to be the child's choice, as once it's complete you are considered an adult in the Catholic church.
I never had that choice, I wanted to quit going to CCD (which was the Catholic version of Sunday School, except I went on Wednesdays)
I wanted to quit because it was boring, I was not embracing my religious upbringing at all.
Well, I ended up being confirmed. The whole time I was taking my classes, I was jealous of my friend Lindsey who I had gone to CCD with my whole life, her dad let her make the choice if she wanted to continue, and she said that she didn't. So she was never confirmed.
Once I was confirmed, I continued to go to mass each week until I was 18 when I quit going all together.
I only made it through the first 4 Sacraments. My first marriage was in a Presbyterian Church.

I respect my parents for instilling in me and my siblings a firm religious upbringing, even though none of us observe the Catholic faith. My sisters and their families are part of a very progressive, non-denominational Christian faith based church called "The Chapel" which is really, really nice. They have very nice facilities, and they have a lot of really great programs for all age groups. I have attended services there and really enjoyed them.
My brother doesn't observe regularly, nor do I.
My mom and step-dad still attend St. Joseph's Catholic Church each week for mass.

I was reading one of Tracey's blog posts, and was once again reminded that it's Lent and I have not given anything up nor have I stopped eating meat on Fridays.
My grandmother is still so observant, she recalls her younger days when her family didn't eat any meat during lent and never ate meat on Friday. She doesn't eat meat on Ash Wednesday, or on Fridays throughout the entire year.

When I was in high school, I worked in my parent's restaurant and recall one Friday during Lent when my mom came into the restaurant and saw me eating a hamburger. She took my plate and dumped it in the bus pan.
"We don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent!" and then she was gone.

Present day: I only remember that Lent is upon us because McDonald's starts really pushing the Filet O' Fish sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. this is going to inspire me to write a post about judaism. lol! really, this was a good post and it gave some insight into your religious choices. i think it's so important to enjoy how you practice religion.

    ReplyDelete