About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

What DON'T people know about me?

This week's topic is from Melissa @ Merryland Girl:

This past week on "American Idol," the contestants shared something that most people would probably not know about them. Now it's your turn! Please share something that most people don't know about you.


Other contributors to the Thursday Blog are:
Desperate Madness
Froggie Knits Like Crazy
Merryland Girl

Oh, Blog readers...I could write a book on this very topic.

First of all, I have a lot of quirks. A LOT. And this blog post is going to highlight some of the amusing ones.

The first of my many quirks is becoming more public, since I created a Facebook photo album highlighting it.
I love watching left-handed people write. I don't know why, I just do. It's like watching a dog walk on it's hind legs, fascinating.
Even more entertaining is how many people I know that are left-handed - quite a few, considering that on average only 9-16% of the world's population is left-handed.
I have two left-handed sisters, a left-handed niece and at least 6 left-handed friends.
(So, Melissa, Shara & Tracey...are any of you left-handed?)

Next up: I love Canada Geese. Love them!
I love to watch them graze or walk around and especially love to hear their little, webbed feet slap against wet pavement.
I know so many people who hate them, or were traumatized by them as children, but I just adore them.
Whenever I see them, I always say "GOOSES!" and they look at me like I am crazy. Which I am. Crazy for geese!

I don't know if this next one comes from working in a call center for so many years, and talking with people from all walks of life but, I cannot stand certain accents. I am not sure if it is because they are more difficult to understand, or if I have some sort of subconscious aversion to them.
This is doubly odd because my husband is from Russia, and speaks with a (super sexy) Russian accent. My stepdad is from Mexico, and has a Spanish accent and I dated a Colombian guy with a thick Spanish accent - I am/was fine with them, and to be quite honest - with the Colombian and the Russian, the accents were/are pretty sexy in my opinion!
Three accents that I loathe, yet deal with on a daily basis are: South African men, Asian women and French (male or female).

Speaking of subconscious aversions...at the first office job I ever had, whenever my boss talked to me it made me yawn. Every time.


And here's an odd one:
I hate crowded places & really dislike going to the movie theater.

I can't sleep without the TV on, and more specifically, I can't sleep without Futurama or The Simpsons. Luckily, I have a huge stack of DVD seasons of both.
I could watch the same disc every night for a week, but if it's not on, I just lay there blinking in the dark.
In a pinch, like when staying in a hotel or away from home, I have been known to use The Food Network to fall asleep. That is a last resort though.
Thankfully, my husband is usually coming to bed by the time the sleep timer has turned the TV off and I am blissfully sawing logs.

3 comments:

  1. I am not left handed, but my daughter is! She's only two, but she already shows a preference, and refuses to use her right hand to do anything....
    That is hysterical that the first job you ever worked at, every time your boss talked to you it made you yawn!! That is sooo funny! :)
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny!!! Love it!
    I am a righty. Sorry. :)
    Futurama rocks. You knew that I liked it already though!
    I find a South African accent sexy on a man. There was a very hot camp counselor at my overnight camp one year and he was from S.A. Loved loved loved his accent! He would sing "The Rose" to me and the accent made it sound even more beautiful.
    I think my husband will always have an aversion to middle eastern accents after he finds a way out of his current job. His boss created that aversion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever wish to get entertainment from a watching a lefty write give me a call - I won't bite; promise! : D

    ReplyDelete