About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

In which I long for spring

First of all, I am sick sick sick of winter.
The weather here has been relatively nice for the past couple days, melting the giant heaps of snow into a big ol' muddy mess in our yard.

I am longing to take out my capris & flip flops, to leave the house without my bulky winter coat.
To roll down the car windows without freezing and most of all - start my vegetable garden!

Last year, Kosta and I planted 3 kinds of tomatoes: cherry, romas & yellow tomatoes, 2 kinds of bell peppers, basil, cilantro and even habanero (or scotch bonnets) and I absolutely loved that fresh produce was only a few steps away.
A lot of people say that there is nothing better than a home grown tomato and I must agree.
One of my favorite singers sums it up very well:

"Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What would life be like without home grown
tomatoes?
Only two things that money can't buy:
That's true love and home grown tomatoes"

Home Grown Tomatoes - John Denver

To piggy back on my Thursday Blog Post, another thing most don't know about me is that I have a "Flip Flop Rule"
A rule that I abide each spring, governing when I can start wearing flip flops.
Once the weather stays above 50 degrees for 7 consecutive days, it's open season for flip flops and guess what? Yesterday the high was 52 degrees, today it's 55 degrees...all I need is 5 more days of temps above 50 and it's on!

No comments:

Post a Comment