About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Monday, May 3, 2010

It brought a tear to my eye..

I have often posted about how full of fail my first marriage was, but there is one thing. ONE. That truly, truly upset me.

My ex was neither religious or spiritual, was not raised with anything more than a belief in God and at 25 years old, didn't even know the true meaning of Easter.
At the time, this wasn't a huge issue because I wasn't a frequent church goer myself.

Several years ago, my nephew Jordan was being confirmed. My sister and her family attended a small church in Spring Grove, IL and we were invited to attend the confirmation ceremony.
Now, I have no objections what so ever to attending church, I just don't.
My ex-husband hated church, I was able to get him to agree to come with me. After all, it's just for an hour.
He went out "fishing with his dad" early that Sunday morning, with strict instruction to be home by 1pm so he could get showered and change clothes.
I called at 12:30pm to remind him to be on time, no answer on his cell phone.
At 1pm, I got dressed and ready to go, thinking that even if he showed up at 1:30pm, he'd still have plenty of time to get ready.
1:30pm passed, so did 2pm. I called and left him a voicemail message that said he had better hurry home and get changed, and meet me at the church and I headed out on my own.
He never showed up to the ceremony, I went out with my family to have dinner afterwards, and left him a voicemail through my gritted teeth about how he had better meet us at the restaurant.
He didn't.
I arrived back home around 6pm, he was not at home.
I called him, no answer.
7pm, 8pm no phone call.
At 9pm, he finally sauntered in. Oblivious of my fury.
I was in tears, asking how could he just blow this off?
His response? "You know I don't like church."
I screamed "It's not about you! It doesn't matter if you like church or not, it's about being there for our nephew during a very important event in his life! It's about honoring your commitments!"
He just shrugged his shoulders at me.
I still have no idea where he was all that day, or why he wouldn't answer his phone.

This long story came to mind yesterday, as my husband Kosta and I sat in St. Patrick's Catholic Church watching my dear friends' baby being christened.
I thought about how important the day was, and how glad I was to have my husband at my side with me.
My eyes welled up with tears that I had to blink back.
When we got to the car after the christening, I thanked him for coming with me and he looked surprised, as though there was never any question of whether or not he would go.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes it takes a loser to make you appreciate a winner even more. no offense about your past choices. i had annoying battles in some dating relationships that make me appreciate even more what i have now.
    i'm glad kosta shares the same values as you. :)

    ReplyDelete