About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Beauty School drop out...no graduation day for you...

I have a few friends who knit and blog and we've decided to embark on a blog project that has nothing to do with knitting. We're going to take turns coming up with a topic every Thursday and we each have to blog about it by the end of that day and post links to each other's blogs so that people can see our different perspectives on the same topic.
-Thanks to Merryland Girl for this explanation of the Thursday Blog Project.

This week's topic comes from...Me!
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? As a grown up, did you choose the profession you wanted as a child? If you didn't, what drew you to the profession you have?

Other contributors to the Thursday Blog Project are:

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be JUST LIKE my older sister, Stacey.
She was a beautician, and got her license by taking vocational in the College of Lake County's annex (now called the Lake County High School Technology Campus)

When I was a junior in high school, I begged my guidance counselor to get me into the program and she did, a semester late. I very quickly realized that this was not a good fit for me.
In my senior year, we had to start performing services on clients - these were usually elderly ladies from the area that could get their "Roux Fanci-Full Rinse" in 'White Minx'. We also did eyebrow waxing, facials and more manicures on more girl scout troops than I care to recall.
It was shortly after I had to start working on real people and not on the mannequin heads, like hers.
For the record, the mannequins we got in cosmetology school were labeled as "Manikins" and had the potential to cause nightmares.
I have one that I absconded from my sister, Stacey, and named her "Kyle"
I referenced her in this blog post.

I used to hide from the clients, move my name to the bottom of the list for the next client.
This was also when I learned that I can't paint fingernails to save my life, especially on wiggly little girls.
The clincher for not finishing cosmetology came when I had to wax eyebrows on a woman who wouldn't stop talking or close her eyes. Was she crazy? She was paying $2 for a 16 year old girl to drip hot wax on her face. Hold still and shut up before you lose an eye!
I finally resigned when I had an epiphany: I don't much care for touching strangers.
Especially strangers with questionable hygiene.
I did meet a lot of great gals (and a couple of cool guys, too!) and had a lot of fun, but in the end - it just wasn't the right occupation for me.
I spent many years waitressing, as some of us do, not so much because I loved people but because it was fast money.
When I finally broke into the office world, I found that I am a really good customer service representative.
And since 2001, I have worked in various call centers doing inbound customer service.
Sure, there are days when I want to pull out my hair but I really like the fact that once a call is over, there is little chance that I will ever talk to that person again.
Another reason inbound call centers are my niche? I cannot multitask, nor am I capable of looking busy when I am not.
In a call center environment, I take calls when they come. When they don't come, I check email and updates.
I am not required to do much else than devote my full attention to the client on the phone, once the client has been handled, they could care less where my full attention goes. I can give you a hint though...ahem...facebook...


2 comments:

  1. i had no idea you went to beauty school. i never knew what it was like on the inside, other than what i saw on "ugly betty."
    i'm glad you like what you do now.
    great topic choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man - I am SO glad there are people like you in the world who can handle Customer Service!!!! :) I was horrible at it. I had a hard time distancing myself from the people on the phone, and got way wrapped up sometimes.
    Probably - this is why I am much better with animals!! :)
    My MIL was a beauty school drop out too!! :)

    ReplyDelete