About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pick a book, any book

I have a few friends who knit and blog and we've decided to embark on a blog project that has nothing to do with knitting. We're going to take turns coming up with a topic every Thursday and we each have to blog about it by the end of that day and post links to each other's blogs so that people can see our different perspectives on the same topic.
-Thanks to Merryland Girl for this explanation of the Thursday Blog Project.

This week's topic comes from Shara @ Desperate Madness : This week - What is your absolute favorite book?

Other contributors to the Thursday Blog Project are:

Here's the thing - I can't pick just one!

I go through a lot of book phases, but always end up with what my mom refers to as "fluff".
I used to read like crazy, and go through books like water from a tap: I read Babysitter's Club books, Harlequin Romances & I especially loved Danielle Steel & VC Andrews books.
One year for Christmas, my mom bought me the entire Pearl series in hardback. I must have read them over and over again.
And then, something happened. I stopped reading books.
I don't remember how or why, but I just stopped. I do know that whenever I pick up an actual book now, I fall asleep reading it. Reading makes me feel anxious because I feel like my time could be put to better use. Doing what? I have no idea.
When I read, I get completely enveloped. I lose track of time and place, and have a difficult time snapping back into the world around me which makes reading at work during down time too difficult.
Thankfully, there are audio books. These I totally love. They make my long daily commute tolerable and when I am at home, I can knit while listening and I feel like I am multi-tasking.
My mom got me hooked on audio books, especially books by Patricia Cornwell, Rita Mae Brown & Janet Evanovich.
I do love a good mystery!
(My mom has also influenced the tv shows I watch, I never thought that would happen!)

I just finished "Finger Lickin' Fifteen" by Janet Evanovich, and it was great. When I listen to books from the Stephanie Plum series, I always laugh out loud.
Recently, I have listened to the Twilight series & The Time Traveler's Wife.
I listened to most of the Harry Potter series on audio, and read a couple of them.
Regrettably, I am just not so much of a bookworm anymore. Maybe I will finally read Sundays at Tiffany's, since it has been sitting on the back seat of my car for almost a year...

2 comments:

  1. If you like "Sundays at Tiffany's," then read "If You Could See Me Now" by Cecelia Ahern.

    How did I not know that you liked V.C. Andrews? We would have totally been best friends in high school and college. :) I had an online club going for her for a while.

    "The Time Traveler's Wife" is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never thought to do audio books at all before, but you are right... You can totally multi-task!! I need to knit more... I miss it! **sigh**

    ReplyDelete