About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Waiting for spring to 'spring'!

I have a few friends who knit and blog and we've decided to embark on a blog project that has nothing to do with knitting. We're going to take turns coming up with a topic every Thursday and we each have to blog about it by the end of that day and post links to each other's blogs so that people can see our different perspectives on the same topic.
-Thanks to Merryland Girl for this explanation of the Thursday Blog Project.

This week's topic comes from Tracey @ Froggie Knits Like Crazy: Write about your favorite season or time of year.

Other contributors to the Thursday Blog Project are:

Growing up, summer was where it was at! No school, no parental supervision during the day, sleeping in until noon, staying up all night.
Well, that changed when I became an adult and learned that June, July & August were just 3 months out of the year. Usually spent sitting behind a desk in a stuffy office.
Most folk complained about not having a window, or being able to see outside. I loved not having a window. I was never distracted by my longing to get up from my cubicle, grab my purse and make a hasty exit - never to return.
Driving to work in full 'business casual' dress, only to walk into the office looking rumpled and sweaty.
I became a stripper in the car on the way home and would manage to shed cardigans, pantyhose & shoes. Hair was pulled back into a sloppy pony to keep it from sticking to my forehead and face.
After several years of missing out on lounging poolside during the week, I said phooey on summer.
Oh, summer. You used to be my favorite! Now you are all hot and sweaty.
Now that I have reached the wizened age of 31, I have decided that Late Spring is my favorite season.
I realize that 'Late Spring' isn't really a season in itself, but I figure that it's my blog, and I can decide not only which season I like, but which part of the season I like. So there.
Moving on.
Late Spring is (by my definition) when it's warm enough outside to want to sit on a park bench in the sun, but not warm enough to get all sweaty (are you seeing a trend? I am not a fan of 'sweaty'. As a matter of fact, I am renaming the season of summer to "Sweaty Time")
In Late Spring, lilacs are in bloom and sweeten the air everywhere, and little black ants nibble away at the green cloaked buds of peonies.
In Late Spring, you will start to see the fruits of your labors from when you planted your garden during crappy, early spring (which gets no special capitalization). Bright green stalks shoot up from your dirt, letting you know that your brown thumb is getting a bit greener.
In Late Spring, you can sit outside and watch the stars at night with the delicate 'blink-blink-blink' of fireflies, instead of being swarmed by mosquitoes.
You know what else goes on in Late Spring? Weddings. Lot's of them. Including my own!
Everyone loves a Late Spring wedding! A vibrant selection of in-season flowers, wedding parties (and guests) that aren't all sweaty (<--there it is again...) and wilted looking, wedding cakes that stay pristine instead of melting.
So, the bottom line is this - there is very little "sweaty" in Late Spring. This pleases me.




4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I love when the weather is just right. :) May/June is a lovely time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question. Not that you need deem my question worthy of answering, as it is your blog.

    So it was good, I liked it. It was a little pitchy in the middle.. for me it's a yes.

    Ok, really though. Here's where I'm going with this. You used the term 'wizened' above, and I am unfamiliar with this term or vernacular. I was wondering if this was related to 'kräusened' which is what I immediately thought of in reading this word. Although I don't really know what it means, I understand it has to do with adding 'wort' (whatever that is) to beer as it's being bottled. Although I found it on Wikipedia (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_conditioning#Kr.C3.A4usening), there were too many sub-links to make it worth researching further.

    Most of that aside, I haven't really gotten to the heart of my question. Old Style beer has a new 'authentically kräusened' production, or more commonly people refer to this as 'fully kräusened.' (http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/37581004.html)

    So what I want to know is, at 'the wizened age of 31,' how wizened are you, and is it authentic? I'd highly doubt as humans that any one of us could be fully wizened at this age, although it depends on how this is calculated. Is it based on total life span (i.e. is your wizening higher (lower?) if you die at a young age), accomplishments (degrees, jobs, career-level, etc.) or some other measure like IQ or aptitude tests, or other clinical assessments. Beyond the specifics though, how does one know when or if they are 'fully wizened'? Is it even possible for someone to realize full wizening, or can it only be interpreted postmortem? (Like with an equation or something..) Is there only one type of wizening, or is it subjective, i.e. "I've become wizened on kräusening beer."

    Also, does Kosta use any kräusening process in his bier? (intended pun on the spelling.. it's German you know.. ha ha ha)

    -ph

    ReplyDelete
  3. @John - wizened is a term my mom always used, to exaggerate age. I was contemplating using the term "ripe old age of..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic read! I loved it!! :) Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete