About Me

My photo
New year, new format.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Old habits like you, are hard to break...

I have a few friends who knit and blog and we've decided to embark on a blog project that has nothing to do with knitting. We're going to take turns coming up with a topic every Thursday and we each have to blog about it by the end of that day and post links to each other's blogs so that people can see our different perspectives on the same topic.
-Thanks to Merryland Girl for this explanation of the Thursday Blog Project.

This week's topic comes from me: Tell me about your worst habit(s)

Other contributors to the Thursday Blog Project are:

I must admit that this topic comes pretty easy for me, and for those of you who have seen recent Facebook status updates, you know that I recently quit smoking.
I have smoked, consistently, since I was 15 years old.
I will not lie and say how FANTASTIC I feel not smoking, or how clean everything smells and how much better everything tastes, because at this point - I just want a cigarette.
Granted, it's only been a week and I still catch myself thinking "Ooh! It's almost time for a break, I can go have a smoke."
Or thinking about lighting up when I get in the car after work.
As I am typing this, it feels very counterproductive. I should probably tell you why I chose to quit, rather than drool at my screen while I long to light up.
* My health - a few months ago, I wrote about making changes in how I take care of myself and I realized that it doesn't matter if I am working out, eating right and taking a vitamin if I still smoke a pack a day.
(For the record, I am still not working out...baby steps...)
* My company is offering a non-smoker discount which gives me a $30 credit per pay period to be smoke free during the next plan year. So not only am I saving money not buying cigarettes, I am also getting $60 a month off my insurance.
* I plan on getting pregnant in the next year, and I would have quit then anyways. It's a different story when it's not just affecting my health.

So, I am getting through it.
I am edgy, irritable and pretty much shove anything in my mouth that I can chew violently on.
Yesterday, I bit a huge chunk out of my tongue while angrily chewing gum.
The pros?
I have yet to brutally murder anyone & I have been knitting a lot more.





2 comments:

  1. Yay Jenn! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you, lady. I smoked inconsistently since I was 16 & consistently since I was 18. I quit every time I got pregnant, but started up again soon after. I knew I had to quit, and once the questions started from our 4 year old, knew it was better to quit.
    GOOD FOR YOU!! :) I'm happy that you have gotten on a track that works for you!
    Aaron quit smoking because of the smoking credit at Hewitt. :) So, we are saving a lot of moolah too! Now, that's pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete